Luanda, 12th of July 2019
1. At the invitation of His Excellency Mr. João Manuel Gonçalves LOURENÇO, President of the Republic of Angola, a quadripartite meeting was held on 12 July 2019 in Luanda between His Excellencies, Mr. Yoweri Kaguta MUSEVENI, President of the Republic of Uganda, Mr. Paul KAGAME, President of the Republic of Rwanda, and Mr. Felix Antoine Tshisekedi TSHILOMBO, President of the Democratic Republic of Congo.
2. This meeting follows the Tripartite Summit held in Kinshasa on 31st May 2019 between the Heads of State of the Republic of Angola, the Republic of Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of Congo and the consultation undertaken by the Special-Envoy of the President of the Republic of Angola to the President of the Republic of Uganda on the 18th of June 2019, in Kampala, Republic of Uganda.
3. During the present summit, the four Heads of State reviewed the general situation in the sub-region as well as the strengthening of the cooperation among the four countries.
4. The Heads of State stressed the importance of a permanent, frank and open dialogue that should be strengthened both bilaterally between the states of the region and multilaterally, for the consolidation of peace and security, and as a fundamental premise for economic integration.
5. The Heads of State welcomed the efforts of the DRC authorities to pacify the entire national territory, but condemned the persistence of armed groups in the east of the country that are in breach of the ongoing peace process and destabilizing neighboring countries.
6. The Heads of State paid particular attention to developments in the endemic situation in the country, thus recognizing the efforts of the Democratic Republic of Congo and its partners in dealing with the outbreak of Ebola.
7. The Heads of State congratulated themselves on the outcomes of 12th Extraordinary Summit of Heads of State and Government of the African Union, held on July 7, 2019, in Niamey, Republic of Niger, dedicated exclusively to the launching of the operational phase of the African Continental Free Trade Area, which opens new prospects for the continent’s economic integration.
8. The Heads of State welcomed the prevailing climate of peace in the sub- region, which is conducive to economic integration and sustainable development.
9. The meeting in Luanda between the four Heads of State took place in a climate of fraternity and perfect understanding and decided the following:
a) To continue to pay particular attention to the creation of a climate conducive to fostering cooperation between their respective countries in areas of common interest, including in the political and economic spheres.
b) Prioritize the resolution of any dispute between their respective countries by peaceful means through conventional channels and in the spirit of African brotherhood and solidarity.
c) Support the efforts by the government of the Democratic Republic of Congo in the process of dealing with the outbreak of Ebola and commit to work together to prevent spread of the epidemic.
10. As far as the bilateral relations between the Republic of Rwanda and the Republic of Uganda are concerned, the Summit welcomed the willingness of the two parties to continue the dialogue with a view to finding a solution to the existing problem.
11. In this regard the Summit assigned the Republic of Angola with the support of the Democratic Republic of Congo to facilitate this process.
12. The Four Heads of State agreed to continue their consultations on issues of common interest.
13. His Excellencies, Mr. Yoweri Katuga MUSEVENI, President of the Republic of Uganda, Mr. Paul KAGAME, President of the Republic of Rwanda, Mr. Felix Antoine Tshisekedi TSHILOMBO, President of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, thanked His Excellency João Manuel Gonçalves LOURENÇO and the Angolan people for the hospitality extended to the delegations during the works of this quadripartite meeting.